Sunday, June 1, 2008

Indian Holocaust

I am addicted to refreshing the news channel site every third minute. Recently quite a number of news has been very disturbing, and I am sure that I am not being the sensitive one here. The event that stands out is the dirty politics of quota. Every time I try to ignore this news (read problem), it presents itself in a new way. Crying out loud “I am here to stay and bother you“. My head reels with the questions like, why is it still needed after 60 years of independence? I for one wonder how can 60 years of progress can lead to implementation of new quota system than on the contrary removing them? Wasn't eradication of caste system and having a uniform society the first step of the freedom fight?

For once even if I accept that this is the best method for a better future. Then is the description of backward classes after so many years still remain the castes? Isn’t it that all these castes are basically the result of the jobs our great-grand father’s ancestors did hundreds of years ago? Are those candidates whose fathers got good education and extra opportunities because of the existing age-old reservation, still backward? What about the people who converted their religion, why are they not considered part of the backward classes. Isn’t the fact that the government pushing for the reservation for creamy layer not an indication of what this govt actually wants? VOTES!!! Neither the fact that the data used for quota is disputed nor the fact that creamy layer definition doesn’t include people earning up to Rs 2.5 Lac per annum, seems surprising. Or does it? I am sure it would include lot of my friends in non-IT job. Great news to the lobby of self styled businessmen and agents who declare the income tax as less as they can.

What is more bothering than most is that 60 year old reservation has not been revisited ever? And that nobody even mention about it? Why can’t those be given to the new OBC quota? Why is everybody running the show of Indian politics more concerned about cutting into the general quota and giving out the share? Why no one is interested in verifying whether all the quotas implemented earlier are still needed. What has happened to the notion of equal opportunity for the general class people?

All these questions make me feel that govt thinks that the earlier quota system hasn’t helped much enough either the needy people or the needy politicians. If the later is the real reason, then god save the state of Tamil Naidu where 69% reservation is already in place. As for my logical mind, any sane soul would vote or vouch for the quota system if and only if this system had proved results before. And if I m not misreading the new system is proposed because earlier one didn’t have desired results. It’s not very comforting to learn that that our HRD minister and his able bureaucrats can only think of one solution. Are we all are trying to ignore the implicit, rather are we trying hard to accept the self contradicting logic? It’s not only the quota that sends a shiver down my spine, it is the fact that most of us stand mum accepting it, me included. The thought even scares me that this is not going to end here its just the beginning, next would be the quota on state basis, then on religion and god knows what else.

Let me say this that since our country cannot afford unemployment stipend or stipend for below-poverty-line, I can accept quota but not on present terms. I can accept quota which is for economically backward basis and not on what my great-grandfather did. I can accept extra privileges for the kids of poor may be state run competitive schools paid by me and other tax payers’ money, may be even scholarships for deserving. I am ready to accept quota which is based on opportunities available to one and not based on religion and caste.

Since we already have bowed down to this system, I just hope the rest of the country doesn’t end up like Rajasthan is today. A silent prayer to god to please help my country to chose its next leaders, engineers, doctors and all those who build this country on their certificate of merit and not caste.

My heart says we need a new start, but my head reminds me that life gives no second chance.

2 comments:

kid_unltd said...

Remember Divide & Rule. We were told we should unite and fight. Well the same trick is used by our Politicians hungry for power, and we people, as if unaware of our history fall into the trap with our eyes wide open.
Caste is not the only tool which is employed. As what is happening in Maharashtra, it is also regionalism.
Instead of falling into these booby traps, it is us who should take up the challenge.

Even Media should take an active and responsible stand. But alas, we Indians never learn from our past mistakes !!

Ankur said...

True yaar, very well said. The problem as I see it ,is after all the education, people still feel the same. Not only the power hungry politicians, the opportunity hungry people want it for their kids. The blame lies with us; we have not taken enough intiative to create more opportunities for everyone, so that every extra opportunity doesn't drive people to forget their conscience.